Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part XXIV

Due to a lack of time to transcribe this morning, today's entry will be a bit shorter than usual...only transcribing about a little more than one handwritten page. But don't worry...I should have the whole diary finished by month's end.

November 15, 1945

Well it has been four years since Earl died and I came to the office to work. Much has happened and it seems a long, long time. Time changes things so. I had a little boy four years ago; now he is 6 feet tall and weighs 235, and is in college.


Dad was overweight growing up, but he got in good shape when he went in the military and stayed reasonably trim until his late sixties. But he was also a fairly large man so it wasn't all fat at this point either. Dad said that Wallace was very concerned about his weight when he was growing up, which considering how Wallace ended up being way overweight for most of his adult life is kind of ironic. Anyhow, back to the entry:

Wallace, who was 19 then, is married, lives in Washington, D.C. and is thoroughly absorbed in his work as flutist for the symphony there. I am more alone than ever in my life and suppose it will grow worse. Mama is a great comfort to me. I don't know what I would do without her.

Mattibeth Wright is to be married November 22 to a Fort Worth fellow. They had a tea for her last Sunday announcing the approaching marriage.

Phil Wright and his wife have a baby. He is still in the army and they will be unable to attend the wedding.


More tomorrow!


Next

No comments: