Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part XVI

March 2, 1945

A letter from Wallace and he is in Italy and had a wonderfully interesting trip over. He was in Africa and other interesting places. He seems happy and that makes me feel much better about him.

Charles has had scarlet fever and has missed two weeks from school. He has not been extremely ill but we certainly hated for him to miss school.

A letter from Rainee this week. She is a sweet child and I think Wallace really loves her. If he loves her I do to and will be happy if they marry.

Mama and I are well.

March 23, 1945

Today is precious little Earl's birthday. He would have been 25 years old had he lived. Have been without him for 14 years.


For those of you who haven't read these from the beginning, Lola is referring to her eldest son, William Earl...you can see that earlier entry here.

Leonard is 40 years old today. He is a captain in the transportation division in the Air Forces in India.

A letter from Wallace dated March 17, 1945, and he has gone on his first mission - bombing Verona, Italy. It is a very uncomfortable feeling to know your child is in constant danger.

Zelma has had a very serious operation. Her gall bladder burst and she has been in a very critical condition. Has a tube in her side.

Robbie brought Martha and came up last week and bought her some lovely clothes. She has a very chic figure and wears her clothes beautifully.


This is interesting for me to read, since when I knew Martha, she was always quite overweight (along with my Uncle Wallace.) She was an awesome lady, though, and very fond of me when I was a kid.

Uncle Everet paid Mama a surprise visit Tuesday March 21. We were so happy to see him. He is a sweet old thing and I love him.

See you all tomorrow with more from 1945!


Next

No comments: