Thursday, November 05, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part XI

September 9, 1944

Mrs. Buckingham is out at Ida's and is slowly recuperating from the spider bite. Ida is not at all well and is really not able to take care of her but there seems no other way out.

Mary Frances Neal married last week and it was a beautiful wedding. Mrs. Neal had a lovely reception for her and it was nice as could be.

Elizabeth Provence is at home and I had a little party for her last Monday night. She is the same old sweet Lisbeth.

The twin babies who have cried all summer and nearly driven Mama crazy have moved to Ruthie's and we cannot hear them cry nearly so plain. Also it has turned cool and they do not cry like they did. Mama, who had feet terrible all summer, is now feeling some better.

Part of the reason the South has exploded in population in recent decades is because of air conditioning. I know that for a long time people managed without it, but the thought of living here all summer with no cooling other than fans is a scary one...but I guess people managed.

Wallace, who has been in Waco since August 22, has been transferred to Lincoln, Nebraska. He must be there by the 14th. He came by home and spent two days and went to Oberlin, Ohio to see Rainee. He has been training on B-24's.

Charles has been working out at T.C. for two weeks. He is painting. Makes 35 cents per hour but he does not have a Social Security card yet. He will quit Tuesday night and will start to school on Wednesday. He is a senior in high school this year. I can hardly realize that my baby is a baby no longer.

October 4, 1944

Ida is leaving this afternoon for Dallas to go to a clinic. She has been sick for over two months and does not know what is wrong that she cramps so. I've had a series of headaches that have given me a fit. Feel very punk today.

Mrs. Buckingham is at home nnow and is getting along very nicely. She is up all the time now.

Mr. Eli Cox, our neighbor, has been sick for two months but is recovering. He has been in Dallas in a sanatarium. Mr. Wright has also been sick and in a sanitarium.

Jack Williams, Ellen's youngest boy, who entered the Air Corps three years ago, was killed Sunday, September 17, 1944. He was a 1st Lieutenant and had served overseas for one year, returned to the US and had been flying big transports across. He started out with one for England and crashed at Bangor, Maine, only 200 feet off the ground. It is a tragic thing and grieves us all.

Wallace is still in Lincoln but is expecting to leave any time.

I didn't know the Williams family, but that would be a terrible thing, to have your child make it through what you thought was the most dangerous part of the war (combat in Europe) and then be back doing a relatively safe job in the U.S., only to be killed in a plane crash. Of course, aviation back in those days was not as safe as it is today, but crashes were still a rare occurrence.

See you all tomorrow with more tales from the 1940s!


No comments: