Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part X

Welcome back to my monthlong posting frenzy. Also, I wanted to clarify something for those of you who have been following my recent entries (specifically my last one): penicillin wasn't rare in 1944 because it was for military use only...it was rare because it was a brand new drug. (I know that it was discovered in 1929, but widespread use did not occur until the 1940's.) I'm glad that my father had a good doctor who knew about it and knew it could be of help, of course, and that he received it in time. Anyhow, let's get back to today's entry (actually, since the first entry is pretty short, I'm transcribing two diary entries today.)

July 12, 1944

I brought Charles home from the hospital June 27th, 1944. He has been fine and has gradually returned to normal life. I took him back to Dr. Jones Jun 9th for a final check and he said Charles was just fine. We had supper with Robbie and drove home that night.

Martha is doing volunteer nursing this summer at St. Paul's in Dallas. Charles has three very small scars, barely noticeable. His sight does not seem affected in the least. He has had a remarkable recovery.

A letter from Wallace says he hopes to get his wings August 4th.

August 21, 1944

Wallace got his wings at Pampa, Texas, on August 4th, 1944 and is now Lt. Wallace Mann and is 22 years old as of August 17. Charles, Carolyn, and I went to Pampa to see Wallace get his wings. We visited Howard Buckingham and had a nice time. We left there Friday August 4th at 10:30 P.M. and drove all night, getting in here at 2:30 A.M. on Saturday August 5th.

Wallace was with us 17 days and did we feed him up. He gained 15 pounds and his new lieutenant uniform was tight as the hide when he left. Lorraine Rose, Wallace's girl, came home from Clarksburg, West Virginia and stayed with us from Sunday August 6th until Wednesday August 9th. She is sweet and cute and we liked her.


Wallace did end up marrying Lorraine, or "Rainee" as she is known to all of her relatives and friends. They had four children together. However, I don't think my father ever completely trusted her since he always considered her a yankee.

Martha came from Dallas on Wednesday, August 16th and stayed until Sunday, August 20th. Wallace left this morning so Mama, Charles, and I feel rather lonesome. Wallace went to Waco, Texas, and I do hope he will be stationed there for a while.

Mrs. Buckingham was bitten by a spider last week and has been in a very serious condition, but seems somewhat better today. Mrs. Neal had an Announcement Tea for Mary Frances yesterday. She is to marry September 2nd to a Bill Arthur and will live in New Braunfels, Texas.


That's all for today. See you tomorrow!


Next

No comments: