Monday, November 02, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part VIII


OK, today's post will be a brief one, since the following entry is a lot longer (and kind of intense) and I don't have time to type it all out right now. However, as a bonus, I'm including a picture I found recently...not from 1944, but of me from 1989.

That skinny dark-haired guy on the left is me in Steamboat Springs, CO, about 20 years ago. I was in tech school for the Air Force and stationed in Denver (Lowry AFB, which has since closed) and some relatives of mine owned the inn in the picture, so I drove up there one weekend with a friend and fellow tech school attendee. We had a pretty good time and both managed to get served alcohol in some local establishments even though we weren't quite 21 yet.

Let's get back to today's diary entry:

Monday, May 29, 1944

A letter from Wallace tells us he has been sent to Pampa Army Air Base. Went there Wednesday, May 24. If nothing happens to prevent he will get his wings the first week in August. He hopes to be home on his birthday but I do not know about that.

Carolyn is graduating from high school this year. I took Mrs. Buckingham and went to the Baccalaureate Services that night. I believe it was the first time I ever went to services of that kind in my life that the church was not filled. Ida had a beautiful new dress and hat and looked nice.


Like I said, short post today. I would imagine that the graduation ceremony was not crowded because so many men were away from home, serving in the military.

See you tomorrow with a more from 1944.


Next

No comments: