Sunday, November 01, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part VII

Today is the first day of November, which also means it's the first day of NaBloPoMo, which was created by a blogger to encourage people to post more regularly. It's a takeoff of the NaNoWriMo, for those of us who want to write more, but don't want to try writing an entire novel. This is my second year of participating in NaBloPoMo, so I imagine I'll probably finish transcribing Lola's diary by the end of the month...or be very close to it, at any rate. Incidentally, I do have a friend who has participated in NaNoWriMo for the past few years and has created an interesting series, the first novel of which is now available on Amazon.

Getting back to this post, let's take another trip back in time to 1944, as experienced by my grandmother:

May 24, 1944

Charles and I went to San Angelo Saturday, May 13, 1944 to see Wallace. We had a nice visit with him Saturday night and Sunday. We took picnic supper and Charles, Wallace and I ate in the backyard of the woman's home where we stayed. We enjoyed it so much.

Sunday we went to church and in the afternoon went out to Goodfellow Field and spent four hours. Inspected the planes, went to the PX and to the picture show. That evening went to see Mrs. Roberts and had dinner at Jim's steak house - a swanky and expensive place to eat.

Mrs. Roberts said she had not herd from Toby, who is in England, in three weeks. On Tuesday after we returned to Denton he was reported missing in action. His plane had been shot down on April 27th. He was a bombardier. I feel so sorry for Mrs. Roberts. Eunice was with her mother, her husband is just entering the service. I've had a letter from Wallace but he did not mention it.

Wallace is leaving San Angelo this week for advanced training somewhere. We had so hoped he would be sent to Lubbock. He made good averages in everything.

Carolyn is graduating from high school this week. She had gone to summer school several summers. Wallace sent five dollars and told me to get her an orchid. I have some pajamas for her.

We have a garden that is just coming in. We had peas and beans today for dinner and I ate entirely too much. We also had ice tea and some ice cream made from some whipped cream that Vel brought us yesterday. She also brought some country ham, some country butter, and home canned corn. She left the baby, Gerald Wallace, with Mama, and went to Dallas to see the doctor. The baby is so sweet.

We canned pineapple yesterday. Canned twelve and paid $4.25 for them. That is entirely too high; I only got 17 quarts which is twenty-five cents a quart. My fingers are so sore today I can hardly type, the acid hurts one's hands so.

Charles is finishing up his year's work at high school. He is in the 11th grade this year and has done good work but has the spring fever pretty bad and I will be glad when he gets out. He is getting to feel pretty big.

I am now reporting for Retail Credit Co. and have been since April 20. At first the reports came in fast and furious but they have dwindled down to where it is not much. We are having steady work at the office but no rush at all. I took a terrible cold when I went to San Angelo and have felt worse than Ned since I came back.


I am not sure who my grandmother is referring to there, or if it's just a phrase (like "land of Nod") that I'm not familiar with. As the diary is handwritten I'm having to make my best guesses when it comes to people's names at times. For the most part it isn't hard to read but it was a personal journal so she wasn't concentrating on penmanship either. Anyhow, back to the entry:

Uncle Clyde and Aunt Laura were here last Wednesday to have her feet worked on. Leonard is in India and is having a pretty tough time of it. He is seeing plenty of action. He is a Captain now.

Leonard was Lola's cousin and a pretty successful businessman. I knew he served in WWII but not many of the details. He and his wife loved kids but were unable to have any of their own and so they always got along very well with me and my siblings. Leonard gave me a knife that he'd gotten when he served in India and I've included a picture of it here below.



It's not in pristine shape but considering its age, it's held up pretty well.

Perry Cardwell (Lt. Col.) was here Sunday. He has served his period of time overseas and is back in the States. He says the situation in Italy is terrible. In the paper today, the reporters say the next 36 hours will tell the tale there. We are paying a terrible price for what small gains we have made there.

Sometimes when I read so much politics I get so disgusted I could die. Is it possible that this terrible war is a political move? Some people claim that it is. I will not - I can not - believe anything so base of our country.


Well, that's all for today. My grandmother didn't include many political observations in her writing but I do like reading how she viewed things as they happened back then...definitely gives you a different perspective, and an idea on the human cost of this war, which I think sometimes gets overlooked as time passes on. See you tomorrow!


Next

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Man, I am loving this stuff, Chuck. I know I've said basically the same thing in every other comment, but what else can I say? I love looks into other's lives, especially within a historical context.

Chuck said...

Suldog - Glad you've been enjoying them; it's been fun for me to transcribe as well!