Friday, October 30, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part VI

Here is today's entry. And here also am I, changing policies right again...this next entry is less than two handwritten pages, so it's not very long. According to what I said last time, I'd automatically be including the following post along with this one to make this post a decent length. However, the following entry is much longer, and I don't feel like transcribing them both right now. Also, I have signed up for NaBloPoMo for November again this year (see the nifty button towards the bottom of the sidebar on the right) and I want to have plenty of material to post starting Sunday, when I'll be putting up a new post every day for the whole month. Anyhow, without further ado, here is today's entry:

April 24, 1944

We had a nice day yesterday with Bert's family in Justin. It was Irma's birthday. She was 36. She has three beautiful children and is still beautiful.

While we were there they had a letter from Ricky. He is in New Hebrides and seems fine. Leo has a nice new home - he is working at Globe Aircraft. Dominic's husband is in the army - stationed in San Francisco.

Bernice has been appointed postmaster in his place while he is in the Army. Laura Bea's husband is also in San Francisco and Laura Bea is there wtih him. Bernice has two children and a beautiful home. Irma helps her in the post office.


OK, that's it for today...as I warned you, today was a short entry. But tune in on Sunday and you'll be treated to a much longer post.

I don't know the people my grandmother was talking about in this post; I imagine they were friends and neighbors of hers. I do think that WWII was an eye-opener for many people that women could do the work that previously, only men had done, and do it very well. (I'm remembering your Mom as I post these also, Merujo.)

I think it does sound like an exciting time, back then, and while along with Thimbelle I wouldn't want to live back then myself (and give up all the modern technology I'm addicted to) I think it would be fun to visit. Which in a way, is what these posts feel like to me...a fun visit to the past.

See you in November, when we will once again make another visit to 1944!


Next

4 comments:

Suldog said...

Again, Chuck, just reiterating what I've said previously, that I'm enjoying this stuff. Keep it coming!

Thimbelle said...

It amazes me, how much Lola traveled around back then! I know that she had to have been tremendously busy all the time - makes me tired just to *think* about it! LOL!

BH said...

I know who the people were your grandmother was talking about. They her were her cousins. Wallace Mac Harper, your great grandfather, and “Bert” Bertie Lester Adams were first cousins. Their fathers, John James McCord Harper and Nelson Fordice Adams, were half brothers. Their mother was Jane Martin DONNELL HARPER ADAMS. John J. M. Harper’s father was Robert C. Harper. Jane and Robert were divorces in 1845 and she then married John Washington Adams. My great grandmother and Bert were siblings. I stumble onto your blog while doing family history research. Thanks for posting Lola’s journal. If your in Happy TX, I right down the road in Lubbock.

Chuck said...

Thanks so much, BH! I am actually not living in Happy - it was more a pick for my mood at the time - but I'd love to talk to you further about my family history if you are interested. You can email me at chuck.mann@gmail.com if you are interested.