Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part V

Glad everyone has been enjoying these! Let's jump right into today's entry:

April 8, 1944

Tomorrow is Easter. How I wish Wallace could be at home for the day. It has been four years since Wallace was at home on Easter - I wonder if he will ever be at home to live again - I doubt it. We (Mama, Charles, and I) are going to Dallas for the day with Robby and Wilbur and Martha. It looks very much like rain - I went home yesterday and gardened some. I'm afraid I won't have much garden this year.

Mrs. Buckingham is at home and her head is much better. She is so optimistic about everything - she reminds me of Earl. Charles is also very much like his Daddy and I am am glad.


OK, changing my own rules here: I have decided that I am going to transcribe a minimum of two pages in Lola's journal whenever I do one of these diary posts (since it was handwritten, a page in her journal becomes only a medium-sized paragraph online.) I was originally going to just do the entries as single entries like she wrote them, but I think some of my posts would be too short that way. Anyhow, here is the next entry from her journal (and the final one for this post.)


April 12, 1944

Sunday we went to Dallas and while we were there Charles got sick and has been in bed since that time. He has had fever, a cold, and sore throat, but is sitting up this morning. He will go to school this afternoon if he feels no worse.

The Sunday school conversion is in session in Dallas and Mrs. Patterson, Mrs. Shannon, Mrs. Foreman, Mrs. Pitts and Mrs. Piort went from our class. I did not go for the car was full anyway and I did not really care to go.

Pearl Meade had a little party last night and I went. I played 42 and had a nice time. Bill and Marcille are home for a visit. They have a darling little boy.

A letter from Wallace yesterday. He has had the weekend with Mrs. Roberts. She has taken him under her wing. He was very fond of her even when he was a little boy. He seems happy in his work. He says he now has 100 hours to his credit and most of it is solo work.


My only observation for this entry is that I notice when Lola writes about someone being sick (this was before many modern medicines, of course) if people were feeling bad they went to bed and went back to school, work, or whatever when they were recovered. Today, with all our medicines for masking symptoms and so forth, it seems like that unless someone is REALLY sick, they are expected to show up to work as always; just take some aspirin or decongestants and keep on trucking.

I think it was a bit slower pace of life back then (although it definitely was not easy way of life at all, especially during the 1930's) and today everything is always seems rushed. Now I do have sick leave where I work (and I'm thankful that I do) but I know a lot of places (including a couple of airlines that I've worked for) that had none...and I know many employers frown on people calling in sick even if they do have sick leave. Anyway, I don't mean to run on about that, it's just something I thought of when transcribing this last entry. See you again next time, back in 1944!


Next

3 comments:

Heather Meadows said...

Yeah, I hate the way sick leave is handled. It's almost like people don't have the right to be sick...even though that's not really something that can be helped ;P

Thimbelle said...

I have believed for a long time that one of the reasons that we have so much trouble with flu season nowadays is because NO ONE STAYS *HOME* WHEN THEY ARE SICK!

If people would just go to bed - and stay there! - and quit spreading germs around, we might ALL be healthier!

Even if they do stay home, I know of many people who will use "sick days" to run errands, go to the mall, etc. Again, with the germ spreading...

Don't get me wrong - I don't want to live in the 1940's; as fascinating as I find these journal entries, I am Very Happy to be living right now, today, with all of my gadgets and mod-cons!

Chuck said...

Heather - Yeah, I know many HR departments view sick days as an "incident" just like being late for work. So, if you're sick too many times in a year or whatever, you could theoretically be fired. I think the Family Medical Leave Act has helped somewhat in protecting people's jobs, though.

Thimbelle - Oh, there are many things about that era I wouldn't care for at all...Jim Crow laws, lack of workplace regulations, etc. and I may touch on them more as I transcribe the rest of the entries...but it does sound like a cool era all the same. If I could take a vacation back then, I'd have have a fun time.