Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Lola's Diary, Part IV

In a very rare event, today you are being treated to a DOUBLE POST DAY here on my blog. Actually, the diary entry from Lola's journal is pretty short today, and I had wanted to write about the weekend as well, so I just decided to break things into two parts. Without further ado, let's go back to 1944:

March 28th, 1944

Had a letter from Mrs. Buckingham and she is taking radium treatments for her head. Poor thing - I do hope they help her. Her treatments cost $150. Ida and Haggard paid for them.

Mama has been in bed sick with cold since Monday morning. It has turned cold today and I hope she stays there. She has taken some sulfa tablets and I hope will be OK soon.

I have been working in the yard and garden. We could not get anyone to plow the garden this year and Charles and I went in and chopped the weeds and planted the garden.

I got a permanent today. Went to Circle, we met with Mrs. W.H. Cox, and I led the devotional.

Just talked to Aunt Carrie and she has had a letter from Aunt Frances. Edward and Mary Earl have a little girl and have named her Mary Ellen. Edward has gone across - he graduated from medical school over a year ago, married and entered the Medical Corps of the Army. When I think of Ellen's family I always think of Charles - poor boy - has been dead two years this spring.


I think Lola may have been referring to my Dad's namesake, a Charles Buckingham that he (and I) share a common first and middle name with, but I'm not sure. Anyhow, that is all for this entry. Back again soon with more news from 1944!


Next

1 comment:

Suldog said...

Wow. $150, in those days? That was one hell of a lot of money.

Thanks for sharing these, Chuck. Truly enjoyable.