Wednesday, April 15, 2009

This and That

I know I didn't post anything over last weekend like I had promised to, and I really have no excuse, other than I was enjoying the nice weather. I had a pretty good Easter weekend. I went hiking on Saturday and saw a play that night, and also had my "Easter Meal" a day early by going to Luby's for their ham special. I took my mother out to dinner on Easter Sunday and we had a pretty good time. Monday I got some work done on my car and went to the gym. So all in all, a fairly productive weekend. I still need to clean up my apartment though.

Mom has acclimated about as well as can be expected at her new place. She kept packing all her clothes up in the clothes hamper in preparation to go home, so they had to remove that from her room and replace it with a laundry bag. Overall I've been happy with where she moved with a couple of exceptions. Mom's bathroom is designed to be handicapped accessible, which is good because it's big but bad because there are no cabinets at all in it. We've asked them to put a small table in the room a couple of times and they haven't yet. So that's a small gripe.

My big gripe (and one which I hesitated to blog about, but what the heck) is that her engagement ring (and my grandmother's engagement ring also) went missing after less than a week living there. In the facility's defense, they did warn us against bringing valuable jewelry...but Mom NEVER took those rings off. The director said "never say never" with dementia and I'm sure that's true, but the timing seemed very suspicious to me. As nice as the place is, I'm sure entry level workers don't make tons of money...and it only takes one bad seed. Of course, Mom may have taken the rings off herself and "packed" them somewhere, or another resident could have taken them somehow...but I doubt it. I wanted to file a police report but my sisters think we shouldn't in the interest of keeping peace with the management there. The thing is, if the rings have been pawned or sold, the only people who can check with nearby pawn stores are the police. However, I will probably defer to my sisters on this, and since it's been over a week since we noticed the rings missing, it's probably kind of late to get an investigation going anyhow.

Mom's mental decline is continuing, and we all kind of expected that, but it doesn't make it any easier to watch. I do enjoy the time I spend with her, going out to meals and so forth, but it's emotionally exhausting at the same time. At the Easter Sunday meal, Mom called me by her dog's name about four or five times...which is amusing in one sense but rather depressing in another. I finally corrected her after the third or fourth time. Just the nature of that illness, unfortunately.

The hiking and walking has been cool, and I've discovered several nice places to go not far from where I live...even though I'm near downtown, there are some nice large parks in the area, and downtown itself has a nice walking trail near the river there. However, I also managed to pick up a couple blisters, but I'm not letting that slow me down too much. I've also been trying to get to the gym more, which I got out of the habit of going to after developing a cold when I got home from England in late February. We'll see how that goes.

Hope everyone had a great Easter weekend and I will post again soon! (The word "soon" being totally up to my definition of it, of course.) Seriously, I will try to update more often than I've been doing...that was one of my New Year's goals. So long for now.

4 comments:

Heather Meadows said...

Sorry to hear about the rings :( I agree, the timing is suspicious. That is really a shame :(

The hiking sounds wonderful though :) Have you taken any pictures?

Suldog said...

My inclination would be to report to the police, then assuring the facility that you're doing so only as a procedural matter - that you don't mistrust them, but you need to cover all possibilities for insurance or something.

Merujo said...

I'm so sorry about the loss/theft of the jewelry. It really does create an awkward situation for you, and it's just sad and pathetic if anyone stole them from someone in a deteriorating mental condition.

I'm glad, though, that you had a good Easter weekend. Hiking and ham sounds pretty dang nice. (I watched some DVDs and ordered pizza. It was definitely a bachelor event!) Hope you have another good weekend ongoing now!

Cat said...

Hey Chuck, I hadn't been keeping up with your blog and had no idea what you've been going through.

Alzheimers and Dementia are such cruel diseases. I've had experience with both and it's trying to say the least. I'm glad you were able to get your mother closer to you so you can keep an eye on things.