Monday, January 12, 2009

More Library Blogging

Greetings everyone. I know it's been a fairly long break...in my defense, I can say I was taking a holiday break, followed by working my butt off. Anyhow, I'm back, and blogging to you live from the library once again, where I've gone today to hang out while my apartment receives a long-overdue professional cleaning.

Not a whole lot new to report here. I actually had Christmas night off from work, which was unusual, due to a shift swap. I had a good time at my sister's house for dinner in the afternoon when I woke up (where I made some more of my infamous rolls for dinner) and then I went by to drop off some gifts at the kids' house whose CPS case I was involved with last year through my volunteer job. (They're still in foster care.) I even had a couple days off after that, so I almost felt like a normal person who gets to take a few days off around Christmas.

HOWEVER, in finishing out my graveyard shifts, I worked overnight on the 29th-31st of December, then in the afternoons on the 1st-3rd of January, involving having only eight hours off from 6 AM on the first until 2 PM that afternoon. Not much partying going on for me that day for me, unfortunately...but I was so happy to be getting off graveyard shifts that I really didn't mind much. I'm now working a 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off rotation now on afternoons, and it's MUCH easier for me to get a good night's sleep. For some reason, I also find it easier to eat healthy on this shift also, probably because I don't mind having cereal if I'm just waking up, but if I was getting off work before I'd usually get a fast food breakfast (which taste good but aren't healthy at all.)

I worked out with a trainer at my new gym yesterday. He seemed nice enough but of course, he is also trying to sell me more training sessions. (The first one is free, provided by the club.) I told him I'd see how I was doing in a couple of months. I think I'll have better luck with exercising regularly while I'm working on the afternoon shift as well, but we'll see how it goes.

I was very disappointed and surprised to hear that the Magazine Man (or MM for short) has been laid off. He's the first person I know (in real life or online) to have lost their job in this current economic downturn, although I know he's not alone by a long shot. His encouragement is actually the main reason I started writing this blog, and while my writing pales in comparison to his, I think I've managed to tell a few good stories, here and there. Anyhow, I hope he finds new employment (or gets a book contract) soon.

The thought of layoffs at my place of employment crossed my mind last year when fuel prices were spiking (and there indeed were some employees in another department who did get laid off) but paradoxically, the airlines are doing BETTER now than last summer, due to capacity reductions undertaken then and the drop in the price of oil since then. We'll see how things go in 2009, but we are hiring more people in my department right now, which I'm happy to see.

I've mentioned this before on my apartment tour video, but I don't think I've ever written about it here...I knew MM was a published author, but I didn't know his real name or what he'd written for a long time. When his "secret identity" finally became known, I discovered that I do in fact OWN one of the books he'd written...I've had it since 1998 or so, I believe. We both got a kick out of that.

Well, I think it's time for me to run on here and go home to pay the cleaning ladies...I'll try and write something more interesting in a day or two. Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying a happy 2009 so far (and while I know that MM has had decidedly NOT had a pleasant year so far, I hope the rest of this year makes up for this month.)

No comments: