Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Scary Christmas Eve Moment

Greetings everyone. I don't have a lot of new stuff to write about but I thought I'd share an experience I just had. I had a notice that there was a package for me in the office today, and I went to the office to get it, but they'd already closed (this being Christmas Eve.) Anyhow, walking back from the office, I went past my old apartment. It was rented out after I moved into my new place by an older lady...I haven't ever really talked to her, but I've seen her walking to and from her car a couple of times. Anyhow, when I walked past her apartment, the door was open slightly. I got a bad feeling.

I am never sure what to do in those situations. I mean, the door COULD be open just because she wanted to air out her apartment. On the other hand, her windows were NOT open. I dillied and dallied for a moment but finally decided it was worth pushing the door open a bit more and asking if everything was OK.

I knocked on the door and got not response. I pushed the door open slightly and saw a pair of legs on the carpet. Oh Jesus, I thought. But I was yelling at the same time, "Ma'am? Is everything OK in here?"

It turned out the lady who lives there was just kneeling down next to a cabinet to put up some Christmas decorations or something, and everything was fine. I'm still not sure why she had the door open but I was rather embarrassed to be intruding, so I didn't bother asking. Actually, I kind of felt like an idiot for knocking on the door. But I'm still glad I checked, since I figure it's better to have a minor invasion of your privacy rather than be collapsed in your apartment having a heart attack or stroke with your door open, and have nobody stopping by to see if you're OK.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas. I actually have tomorrow night off (although I'm working tonight) and I'm planning to have dinner at my sister's place in the afternoon. See you all again soon.

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Hey, Chuck, you care. Score one for you, seriously. Loads of other folk would have walked on by without a thought.

Heather Meadows said...

That was a good thing you did! She should have invited you in for a cookie. ;)