Friday, November 07, 2008

Workstation



For those of you curious as to what my desk at work looks like...well, now you know. Actually, I rotate between three different desks, but they're all similar in appearance. This particular one has mostly "Far East" flights assigned to it...Japan, Hong Kong, etc. but there are also a couple of Hawaii flights on the desk also.

Interesting trivia fact: from an ATC perspective, there is a facility in Oakland that handles a lot of the Pacific's airspace. There are a total of 20 US air route traffic control centers in all. Oakland Center is just unusual in the volume of airspace it controls: nineteen million square miles, or nearly 10 percent of the Earth's surface.

I am not a controller, but I do work with ATC on a daily basis, and I hope that the Obama administration can modernize our ATC system, which I think it is long overdue for (and I'm far from the only one who feels this.) I also hope that they can revisit the labor contract imposed by the Bush administration on air traffic controllers, as I feel it was not a very fair process. Yes, it was legal to do it the way the Bush administration did, but it's also led to a skyrocketing level of early retirements among the controller ranks. For a good article on that issue click here. For another interesting read on some good ideas for the Obama administration to pursue in terms of aviation, check out this article.

No comments: