Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Who says no good ideas come from Texas?

I have been a beer fan for a long time, which is part of the reason I need to start going to the gym more. I generally prefer a craft brewed import or microwbrewed beer, although I don't turn down the occasional macrobrew such as Miller Lite or Coors from time to time (although I am not much of a Budweiser fan.) Anyhow, my point is that I do like beer and drink it regularly. That's why I was excited to see this article about a beer designed to actually be healthy! Here is an excerpt:

BioBeer, as it's called, has three genes spliced into special brewer's yeast that produce resveratrol, the chemical in red wine that is thought to protect against diabetes, cancer, Alzheimer's and other age-related conditions.

Let's hear it for science! And, this beer is being formulated right here in Texas. Of course, Texas does have quite a few original settlers who came from Germany. Whoever thinks Texas beer isn't good, I beg you to try a Shiner Bock and reconsider, or a St. Arnold's (although that second one is probably hard to find outside of the state.) Even Lone Star, although it's more of a macrobrew-styled beer, I think tastes pretty good for the price. Hmmm, perhaps a road trip/brewery tour is in order here for me. Well, no rush.

One other scientific study, also performed in Texas, says that we may not have to wait for BioBeer in order to get some health benefits from it. According to this study, men and women who consume a moderate amount of beer have a 30-40% lower risk of coronary heart disease than teetotalers. Here is an excerpt from it:

The positive health effects of light to moderate consumption of beer match that of previously released studies regarding red wine and provides more benefits than white wine. The report states that "per drink, beer contains a similar amount of polyphenols (antioxidants) as red wine and 4-5 times as many polyphenols as white wine."

That second study was partially funded by a Texas beer distributor, so make of that what you will. Also, I can't swear to limiting myself to only one or two beers all the time. On a regular workday, that's a normal amount of beer for me to have after work...or if I go out and have beer with a meal at a brewpub, I usually never have more than two, since I have to drive home. If I'm on my days off, though, and at home watching a game on TV, I probably will exceed the "moderate" amount recommended by this study. Still, it's good to know that something I enjoy, long thought to have no health benefits, may actually not be as bad for you as it was thought to be.

4 comments:

Suldog said...

Beer! Yay, Beer!

Chuck said...

Suldog - "Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin, who was a sharp cookie.

Thimbelle said...

Well, something good does come from Texas - your blog posts!

I'm actually more of a champagne kind of girl... Never have acquired a taste for beer!

Chuck said...

Thimbelle - Aw, thanks. And I have nothing against wine or champagne, I'm just more of a beer dude.