Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Test Baking

OK, as promised, here is my wild experience with baking rolls today. I swear, sometimes my life is so exciting, I don't know what to do with myself.

This was a test run for tomorrow, when I am baking rolls to take to my sister's place, and I did discover a couple things...slightly decrease the baking time, and DON'T FORGET TO GREASE THE PAN. Those things being said, the rolls still turned out pretty well. I ended up liveblogging it from Twitter for simplicity but here are the pictures.

First, I got part of the dough I made up yesterday and rolled it into balls before putting them in a baking pan:



Next, I put the future rolls on top of a pan filled with warm water and let the dough rise for an hour, covered:



The aluminum pan in the background of that photo is what I'm going to use tomorrow for baking so that I don't have to worry about bringing dishes home with me.

I should have taken a picture of the rolls before they went in the oven, but I didn't. However, here is the finished product:



They came out slightly brown, but not too much. I'll reduce the baking time by about 30-45 seconds tomorrow. And they did come out yummy tasting. I used this recipe which is easy and designed for beginners, if anyone needs it. One nice feature of the recipe is that you can mix the dough up to three days in advance before making the rolls. A caveat to mention: this is not a low-fat recipe, which is probably the reason the rolls have a nice buttery texture.

UPDATE: I took some of the rolls into work to try them out on some unsuspecting victims impartial observers, and everyone said they tasted good, so I'm hopeful the Thanksgiving batch turns out well also.

Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: