Sunday, November 02, 2008

New Dishes and a Lack Of Domestic Bliss




I recently went on a bit of a home improvement binge starting with buying a set of new dishes, pictured above. I definitely live my life in Bachelor Mode, and since I hadn't bought any dishes in...ever, I think, since the ones I was using were castaways from my Mom's house combined with some I got as a housewarming present, so I decided it was high time to get some new ones. I'd been looking for some new ones in dark blue for a while, so when I finally found some I liked at Target, I went ahead and took the plunge. They are quite nice. I still don't think I'm using them enough at home (being lazy about cooking) but I did go through and throw away all my chipped older dishes, so I have respectable flatware now...albeit in three different styles.

I have found lately that, working the midnight shift, I tend not to get much done around the house on the days I work. Whether that's just laziness on my part is certainly debatable, but I did seem to be more productive when I worked afternoons...so I'm not going to bid to work the midnight shift again next year. I may get stuck on what is known as a "reserve line" where I don't get guaranteed days off (basically you fill in for vacation coverage as needed) but I think it's time for a change. And, since I'm on my days off now, tomorrow I'm going to attempt to tackle all the laundry and SOME of the housecleaning that is quite overdue.

I still love my apartment's location, but I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do next year when my lease is up. As I mentioned in my last post, I went on a trip to see my sister for a birthday celebration. The trip went pretty well, but as often happens with air travel, I picked up a virus on the way home. In this case, it was some kind of 24-hour stomach bug. Anyhow, on the day it was bugging me the most, my apartment, without announcing anything, decided to shut off the water for twelve hours or so. Without going into details, let me say that it was a VERY BAD DAY for them to do that.

I understand in this case it was an emergency, and the repairs took a lot longer than they originally thought (evidently they had to change out about 30 feet of pipe) but they never made any attempt to print out fliers and put them on people's doors about what was going on, which I think would have been a nice touch when the repair is going to be several hours away. Plus, I had to go into work that night, and if I hadn't had a gym membership, I would have had no way of taking a shower before work. Evidently the water came on right after my shift started. I am going to try and get a day's rent adjustment for my check this month, so we'll see what happens. If they try and raise my rent on me when it comes time for lease renewal, I think it may be time to go apartment hunting. For those of you who are wildly bored and have nine minutes to kill, a virtual tour of my apartment can be seen here on YouTube.

Well, that's it for today. Back tomorrow, with more better stuff.

No comments: