Sunday, November 30, 2008

Memories of a Good Dog



This is a picture of Bentley, the last dog my parents got. I think I was about 18 when we picked him out, and I really considered him to be my dog also. He loved to go hiking, and this is a picture of him on a hike, which is why he looks so happy in the picture. He was not a big dog (only weighed about 11 or 12 pounds) but when he was young, I could take him on a strenuous 10+ mile hike in the mountains and he'd keep up the whole way with no problem.

He passed away several years ago. I was sorry I wasn't there when my parents had to make the decision to put him down, but he did have a good life, for a dog (almost 15 years) and he was quite active for most of it, although he did noticeably slow down the last year or so of his life. He was always good company, though, and very fond of his humans.

There was one time with Bentley where I came home and discovered him feeling bad, kind of out of sorts and not able to jump up on anything, and insisted on taking him to the vet. It was nothing serious...he had an inflamed gland or something minor that they were able to give him medicine for and treat right away. However, looking back at my life, that incident always sticks out to me as a turning point for me...I recognized something was wrong that my parents did not see, and took an appropriate, grown-up action.

I have thought about getting a dog of my own, and some people have encouraged me to do that, but others have said that I'm smart not to. With the hours I work it would be something of a challenge, since I live in an apartment with no yard, but I'm sure if I worked at it I could manage to have a small dog here. Time will tell.

And with this post, we come to the end of November NaBloPoMo. I'm proud of myself for making it through the whole month with a daily post (even if some of the posts were short ones.) Hopefully regular blog posting is now more of a habit for me than it was...time will tell, anyhow. I am probably going to take a break for a couple days from posting, but I'll be back at some point next week.

5 comments:

Suldog said...

Well, congrats on making it through. Nice pooch!

Chuck said...

Suldog - Thanks. And yes, he was a good dog.

Leon Basin said...

What a cute dog.. i want one...

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia. Really like your blog name!

I'm a buddy of Suldog's - which probably explains a lot!!

Chuck said...

Leon and David - Thanks for visiting!