Wednesday, November 12, 2008

It was a smashing time Down Under until everyone died

I just saw this article on Yahoo, which got me thinking about high temperatures. I suppose the issue with that desert park in Australia is not just heat but also remoteness. I would presume so, anyhow, since you never hear of Death Valley National Park getting closed in the summer.

Although I lived in Las Vegas for many years, I never made it to Death Valley. I meant to go one time after I had moved to Wisconsin but was still traveling back there regularly because I had my house rented out...but it didn't work out. I did drive through Baker, California a few times though, going back and forth between Vegas and SoCal. They have what they claim to be the world's largest thermometer. I don't know if it is or not, but it's definitely distinctive, and it's definitely really hot there in the summer. In addition to living in Vegas for three years, I also lived in Phoenix for two years...so I think you can trust me that when I say a place is really hot, I'm not exaggerating.

I was in the military during Desert Shield/Storm, but I never did get sent to the Middle East. I've heard the heat is even worse there, with temps routinely above 120 Farenheit in the summer. My airline doesn't fly anywhere in that part of the world...the closest we get is Delhi, I think, and those flights routinely get weight restricted in the summer due to high temperatures.

No comments: