Thursday, November 13, 2008

High School Mascots OR What Were They Thinking?

I really have to wonder what they were thinking when they came up with this high school mascot. That is not a fake web page...Hoopeston, IL really is the "Home of the Cornjerkers." There is also a web site where you can order some Cornjerker apparel if you so desire. (I was especially amused by the Cornjerker Nation t-shirt.)

Evidently, Hoopeston is big on corn and has a sweet corn festival every year. Prior to mechanical harvesting methods, a cornjerker was a person who harvested the corn by hand. (Click on the link for more details.) Still, I have trouble coming up with a mascot more likely to cause rival high schools to collapse in giggles. I have a friend who went there, which is how I heard about them...and in a testimony to his psychological health, he's never needed therapy to recover from that teenage trauma.

2 comments:

Heather Meadows said...

SO totally awesome.

Chuck said...

Heather - Yeah, I just had to share that one.