Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Blogging From The Library

Since I happened to get to the library today at rush hour, and the traffic in my city always sucks but ESPECIALLY at rush hour, I decided to kill some time (and follow up on my latest commitment to blog regularly) by posting from here.

I've honestly had better weeks. Saturday night, I was driving to work when I hit a curb, blowing out the right front tire of my car. I pulled onto a side street and went to get out my spare, when I discovered that while the spare was there, the jack was NOT. (I bought a new jack today...status on the tire iron is still undetermined. My trunk is kind of a mess right now.) Anyhow, I do have roadside assistance through my cell phone plan, and I called them and they showed up sooner than they said they would, so all was well. I ended up getting to work only about 30 minutes late.

For some reason this past week, I wasn't sleeping that well during the day, and on Sunday, I got a call from one of my sisters regarding Mom. The younger of my two sisters is out visiting her, and we have determined an increase in care hours to full-time, 24 hour care is now necessary. At that level of care, we won't be able to keep Mom at her home indefinitely, but we do have a good primary caregiver, so for now things are covered. This will give us time to pick the best long-term solution for her without rushing into anything, but I am afraid Mom will resist moving out of the house just as strongly as the last time we tried it. Anyone seen season one of The Sopranos and remember the reaction Tony's mother had to being forced into a retirement home? Picture that, only without the mafia or gang hits being involved.
(I should emphasize that my mother is a very kind and loving person, even with this illness going on...but when she is stubborn, she is VERY stubborn.)

We'll also probably need to find a home for her dog. She admitted that, prior to her previous move/tryout of a retirement place, that she got a dog in large part because she thought we couldn't make her move if she had a dog. The place she tried out did allow pets, but I kind of doubt that it will be an option for an Alzheimer's facility to take animals. Dealing with an elderly parent who has dementia is just as fun as you might imagine...I'm just glad my sisters and I are in it together. Doing everything on my own, especially living in a different city than her, would be overwhelming.

Anyhow, my point in bringing all this up is to say that my sleep was interrupted on Sunday, but I went back to bed around one P.M. to try and get some rest. I hadn't been sleeping well all week, and I hadn't set my alarm (I usually do set it when I take a late afternoon nap, but I forgot in this case...also I probably figured I'd wake up in plenty of time.) Anyhow. I did NOT wake up in plenty of time, instead waking about a half hour after I should have been at work. I called in, got ready, and drove to work ASAP but I ended up getting there about an hour after I was supposed toe, making me late for the SECOND night in a row. I really don't like being late, and the first night was kind of unavoidable, but the second night I felt very annoyed about. Oh well...at least I was well rested for my shift.

I had off last night, and tonight, so I finally took the car to a tire place today. (I drove by yesterday but the place I went was closed for the holiday.) I was just going to get a single used tire to replace the one I'd damaged, but they had no used ones in stock, so I ended up driving to Discount Tire Company. He took a look at my tires and pointed out that another one of them had two bubbles on the sidewall. He said the other two were starting to get pretty worn also, but that I definitely needed to replace at least two of them. I got a quote for replacing all four, which was quite a bit less than twice the price of replacing two tires, so I went ahead and just got all four done. At least they have 90 days same as cash there. I do want to sell the car probably in two or three years, and while I don't expect to get much money for it, it will look better to have four tires all the same brand, with equal wear, rather than two different kinds.

I chose the Discount Tire location since it's close to my back doctor's office, and I had an appointment for this afternoon. I walked over to the appointment (walking is always kind of viewed as odd behavior in this town, apparently, but I survived crossing the street.) My doctor bugged me about buying some new shoes with better arch support, and I said I would look into it...but seeing as my car just got four new shoes of its own, I might have to wait a couple weeks. I still need to get my car's alignment checked also, and there's a couple other minor car maintenance items I need to take care of. Still, for a 12-year-old car, I have to admit it's been pretty darn dependable. Helps that it only has 60,000 or so miles on it.

I think that was enough fun stuff for one week. Hasn't been a whole lot else happening here other than the old work/sleep/work routine. I did get a new (used) coffee table from someone moving out of my apartment complex, a new metal table for my patio, and a new sixties-retro-looking reading chair and ottoman for my bedroom. Pictures to come sometime this week. I moved my old bar stools out to the patio to go with the table I bought. They're a bit high for it, but the color matches, and the bar stools are anodized aluminum with vinyl seat cushions, so I think they'll hold up reasonably well outdoors. They look better outside than serving as mini storage tables in my bedroom.

If past history is a guide, I'll probably get completely settled into my apartment right about the time it's time for me to move, but I am pretty happy with it, as far as apartments go, and the location is kick-ass.

Hope everyone out there had a Labor Day weekend that was MUCH MORE FUN than my own, and I'll talk to you again later this week.

1 comment:

Suldog said...

Well. Makes my boring "baked a pie and visited my niece" weekend downright enviable. Sorry about the troubles, Chuck. Better days are coming. They always are, you know. Meanwhile, my prayers for you and yours have been said.