Saturday, August 23, 2008

Meme Time OR Where the Hell have I been?

Greetings all. Sorry to take such a long break between posts...but for whatever reason, I haven't felt much like writing lately. There are no major crises, my trip went fine, etc. I have been rather busy with work, but not to the point where I have no days off. My ear and arm have healed nicely, albeit with a scar on my arm (pics to come) and my vacation to New England went fine (although, as often happens on vacations, I spent more money than I thought I would.)

The reason for this particular post is that yours truly has been tagged by the lovely and talented Twinkie with the following meme. Here are the rules:


1. Link to your tagger and post these rules on your blog.

2. Share 7 facts about yourself on your blog; some random, some weird.

3. Tag 7 people at the end of your post by leaving their names as well as links to their blogs.

4. Let them know they are tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.


Since someone I know who reads the blog has been requesting more airline stories, I thought I'd give all the facts a travel-related or career-related theme.

FACT 1: I have worked for five different airlines in my career so far (six if you count my time in the Air Force...which is of course not an airline in the traditional sense, but does move a large number of passengers around the world daily.) I started at a regional carrier in New England, moved to a regional carrier in the Southwest, then moved to a startup in Las Vegas, then onto another regional carrier in Wisconsin after that airline went belly-up, and then FINALLY got hired by a major airline, where I've been for the past 2+ years. I really hope that this is the last airline I work for. I've also learned that in this business, you can't count on anything 100%, but I feel I have reasonably good odds of making this my last employer until I retire.

FACT 2: I was beginning to despair of ever getting hired at a major carrier during my time in Wisconsin, and I was investigating alternative career paths. I actually went all the way through the application process to become a corrections officer in California, but I ultimately decided that it wasn't for me. It was a close call, though. If you think that this would not be a good job for me, you're not alone...most everyone I talked to about it either tried to talk me out of it, or said after I'd decided not to do it that they were glad I didn't. Reason I was interested? Very good pay, benefits, and retirement plan, plus I like California. Reason I didn't take the job? I decided the job itself stinks, after some serious research which included a tour of the prison I'd have been working at. (The corrections officer who gave me the tour agreed with my decision when I later emailed and told him.)


FACT 3: Over the course of my life, I have so far lived in eight different states (New Mexico, Texas, Colorado, Arizona, Florida, Nevada, Wisconsin, and New Hampshire) and three different countries (US, England, and Japan.) I lived in England during my junior year of high school and I spent two years in Okinawa while I was in the military.

FACT 4: My favorite state I've spent much time in is probably California, although I've never lived there (the closest I've gotten was Las Vegas, but I did do a lot of weekend trips out there during that time, especially in the summer to escape the heat.) This was a large part of the reason I was considering the corrections officer job from Fact 2 above.

FACT 5: In spite of driving a flashy-looking car through several big cities and places known for crime such as Chicago, St. Louis, Dallas, Albuquerque, Las Vegas, and Los Angeles, the only place my last car was ever broken into was in Appleton, Wisconsin. The stereo was stolen. My insurance paid to get a new one and fix the window the thief or thieves broke.

FACT 6: The longest I've ever driven by myself (in that same car, actually) was from St. Louis to Dallas in one day. It took me over sixteen hours. I don't recommend anyone try this. I was becoming somewhat incoherent towards the end of the day.

FACT 7: The longest travel experience I ever had was when I was trying to fly to the US from Okinawa on leave when our plane broke after takeoff (the flaps wouldn't come down) and we stopped in Yokota Air Base, near Tokyo, for repairs. I couldn't get a room for the night so I ended up spending 24 hours in the terminal, followed by another ten or so hours for the flight to California. I then took a bus from the base I flew into to my sister's house in San Jose. I was very glad to finally sleep in a bed that night.

OK, now it's time to pick my tagees. I am going to try and avoid people I know that have already been tagged with this one, so I will pick out Dariush, Merujo, Marvo, AJ, Shane, Heather, and Mir.

I think that a couple of these people are not usually meme participants, and I am not going to try and make anyone feel guilty if they choose not to participate. But it is kind of a fun thing to do, as I discovered. And if you've been a lazy blogger like I have, it's a good motivation to write about something!

4 comments:

Merujo said...

I shall endeavor to actually do this!

I'm trapped at home this weekend, as the radiator just blew on the car. Off to ponder...

Heather Meadows said...

Oooh, I love being tagged :)

Suldog said...

Hey, you're back! Yay! Your link shall now be restored to the good bloggers section!

Chuck said...

Merujo - looking forward to it!

Heather - looking forward to yours also.

Suldog - yep, back again and up to no good. Thanks for not deleting me. :)