Tuesday, May 27, 2008

21 Stitches

If anyone is alarmed by the title, don't worry...this is just a post to let everyone know I had my stitches removed from my medical adventure last week. And there were 21 of them. The nurse taking them out said they were very small stitches but I was still surprised at the number. I got the idea for the title from Red Sox pitcher Curt Shilling's blog, which is called 38 Pitches.

Anyhow, the doctor said the results were excellent (his exact words) and the graft took completely. I'm sure there's probably going to be a scar, but since it's behind my left ear, I don't care too much. From what I could see in the mirror, it looked like a pretty good result to me also.

Now, my forearm where they took the skin from for the graft is another story. That is still hurting. Evidently, I haven't been scrubbing it hard enough to remove the dead skin cells. The nurse demonstrated the proper technique, and to imagine what that felt like, picture rubbing your skin with sandpaper until it starts bleeding, and then pouring rubbing alcohol on it. And, I am supposed to do this daily. I guess it's for the best, to make it heal more quickly and scar less...but DAMN does it sting.

I go back to work tomorrow. I'm looking forward to returning, actually; sitting around gets kind of old after a couple of days. I did get caught up on some movie watching during my extended break, though. And on Sunday, I did go to a campground to meet some people for a potluck, which was fun, albeit very hot and muggy.

As part of the doctor's directive to take it easy, I decided to spoil myself and took my laundry to a wash and fold service, had my car washed professionally (I had a coupon to use for that anyway), and had a cleaning service come clean my apartment. So, things are about as clean here as they ever get.

I originally thought the cleaning lady's estimate of $50 was a bit high, but when I saw the job she and her partner did, I thought it was worth the money. They spent about two and a half hours on my apartment and it looks tons better. (I'm not a slob, but it was definitely due for a cleaning.) I told her I'd like to have her out again, preferably monthly if my budget allows. If it doesn't allow, I'll definitely call them before I have any relatives or guests come to town. I do know how to clean myself, of course, having been in the military and lived on my own for years, but to do as good a job as they did would probably take me half the day.

I'm still spoiled from the time ten years or so ago when I lived in a small city in northwestern New Mexico and my landlady would clean my apartment for $10. (I thought it was a great deal, as you can imagine. As one of my friend's said, "Hell, $10 is a good price just to clean the BATHROOM!") Of course, the apartment was quite a bit smaller, but that was still a smokin' deal I'll probably never see again.

Hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday weekend.

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Yeek! I always wondered if, in procedures of this type, it was harder on the site where you had the graft taken. It appears so.

Drink a whole bunch. It deadens pain, you know.

Thimbelle said...

Geez, kiddo! I'm sorry to see it turned into a bigger deal than you thought it would be, but I'm glad to know that they got everything. I'm sure it makes it easier to sleep at night.

Hang in there - it has to get better, right? :)

Thim :)