Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Convalescing

Been too long since I posted here. Ah well, such is life. I need to get into a regular posting "habit" which I have failed at doing in the past, but we'll see how it goes. Anyhow I've said this same thing before, so on to the main topic of the post.

I have been rather slow in finding new docs since I moved from Wisconsin to here. I definitely don't miss my old company, but I was kind of fond of the area where I lived, and I had over time, through trial and error, gotten a good medical "team" of doctors I'd go to see for whatever ailed me...primary care doc, chiropractor, ENT doc for my ear issues, a dentist, and a dermatologist. So far, I've really only gotten a new chiropractor, dentist and dermatologist. It can take a while to find doctors you like. I've had primary care docs and dentists before that I didn't care for...and if you don't care for the person taking care of you, you probably won't tell them everything that's bugging you, either.

So back to this dermatologist. I picked him kind of at random and by location proximity from the list of approved providers for my PPO. However, he does seem to know his stuff, and has done a fairly good job so far, detecting two flaky patches on my skin that turned out to be early basal cell carcinomas. (That is a topic for another post, but as a fair-skinned man who grew up in New Mexico, I unfortunately have a tendency towards this problem.) He seemed a bit hesitant, though, to deal with another issue, which was to have a cyst on the back of my neck removed. It had been there for years, and seemed to be getting bigger, so I wanted it OUT. He pointed out the (slight) risks involved in removing it, but finally agreed to do the removal. I'd rather have a slight scar on the back of my neck than a weird bump on it.

Anyway, yesterday was the big day, it got removed, and I was all stitched up. Evidently the cyst was larger than my doc had thought it would be...I felt like saying, DUH, why do you think I wanted it removed? He advised against any strenuous activity for the rest of the day, which was no problem for me since I had yesterday and today off. However, I did need to get some groceries, so I figured, what could go wrong on a trip to the store?

You can probably see where this is headed. They had put a compression bandage on my neck at the doctor's office, but since it's on a part of my neck that moves when I turn my head, the bandage came loose while in the store, and I ended up checking out, with my wound seeping blood, all unbeknownst to me until I got to my car.

When I got home, I decided that I'd rather not go out again that night, so I tried reattaching the bandage myself. Lacking first aid tape, I decided to use some electrician's tape I had. Which worked fairly well, but didn't exactly look ordinary:



I had thought about going to see a movie last night, but decided that I didn't want to try out my Frankenstein bandage in public.

The bandage did come off in the middle of the night, but fortunately the stitches had stopped bleeding by then, so I was able to use a normal band-aid to replace the black tape and thick gauze pad. So now, I look fairly presentable. Well, as much as I ever do on my days off. I still need a shave. Hopefully, no kids saw my weird bandage or stitched-up neck yesterday at the store. I'd hate to give anyone nightmares.

4 comments:

Webmiztris said...

you shoulda tried crazy glue....lol! seriously, I heard it works!

Chuck said...

Webmiztris - I have heard that is used now in some cases rather than stitches. I got my wound closed the old-fashioned way, though. Stitches come out in five days.

Shrink Wrapped Scream said...

Eeek! It took 'til the middle of the night before your wound stopped bleeding?? Sheesh, maybe you should've stuck with your old doctor, huh? (Hope all's well with it now.)

Chuck said...

SWS - I actually don't know when it stopped bleeding. But, it came off at some point in the middle of the night, and had stopped bleeding before then, since my sheets had no bloodstains on them. (Too much information, I know!)

Thanks for visiting. For more of my medical misadventures be sure to check out Hospital Chronicles.