Wednesday, July 25, 2007

You never know what you'll find...

Sorry I haven't blogged more lately. Work/going on vacation/moving has been taking up a lot of my time. But I am still here, and breathing.

I had some training tonight for a volunteer program I participate in. The offices of the volunteer organization are right across from a pub that looked kind of interesting, so I thought I'd check it out. Indeed, it was a very cool Irish-style pub. So, I ordered a Black & Tan from the bar, which was expertly poured in short order. I had a bit of sticker shock on the price ($6.80? For a beer? Where am I, Japan?) but overall it was a nice place. However, I got a second shock when someone walked up to the bar wearing a dress and ordered their beer.

Being a typical guy, I turned to check out the new arrival (not that I had intentions of hitting on anyone, but it's just typical guy behavior when at bars.) At first, I thought it was a rather plain older lady, when I suddenly realized it was a middle-aged guy wearing a dress. He had long hair but no makeup on. I checked again to make sure this wasn't just some frilly shirt, but it was indeed a guy wearing a dress.

What made this event somewhat surreal was how everyone acted like this was totally normal. Another guy sitting down from me chatted with the dress-wearing gentleman, and the bartender got his beer. Who knows, maybe for this place, it IS normal activity. I guess I'm still not used to going to bars in a large city.

My complaint is that, if you're going to wear a dress, and you're a guy, at least put some effort into it. TRY to look female. Wear some MAKEUP, for God's sake. I figure, if you can't fool anyone into thinking you're a girl, what's the point? Oh well. When it comes to cross-dressing, I'm definitely not an expert.

I finished my beer and declined on a second. While it was a nice bar, I'm not sure I'll be going back real soon. My regular hangout, a brewpub, has MUCH cheaper beer. But at least going there gave me something to write about.

3 comments:

Webmiztris said...

lmao! I'm definitely sensing the writing style.... ;)

one time I was at a pizza place and a guy walked in wearing a dress. except at the pizza place NOBODY looked at the guy like it was no big deal - they looking at him like he was fucking nuts! if there had been a record playing, it surely would have scratched on the turntable.... LOL

Heather Meadows said...

I had an experience like that back home in Nicholasville, Kentucky, at the Wal-Mart. There was this really nicely-shaped girl there in pale blue jeans and a pink sweater with a mass of curly blond hair. But when someone said something to her, the voice that issued out of that petite frame in response was very deep. Then she turned around, and I saw that she had a man's face.

I'm not sure if the body was real, and she'd just had that surgery first, or if she was a very small man and was simply wearing padding everywhere, but whatever the case, I think he/she needed to get some hormones to soften the features and hopefully change the voice. It was all I could do not to stare.

Chuck said...

Webmiztris - I'm definitely finding that things in a big city don't turn heads that would in a small town.

Heather - Yeah, this guy was really making no attempt to appear female, other than the long hair and dress. Scary!