Wednesday, July 25, 2007

That name again is Mr. Studly!

My blog friend Dariush, of American Twentysomething fame, has announced he's changing his first name. Being a professional newspaper guy now, he wanted his byline to have a shorter, easier to spell name, so he's going to go by his middle name, Al. I think this is a good idea, but I thought he should go all the way and change his last name to Studly. Here are my thoughts on the subject from a recent Gmail chat...

me: What are you going to change your name to?
Dariush: Al Shafa.
me: You could change the last name and then be known as "Al Studly." Then everyone would be like, there goes Mr. Studly!
Dariush: ...
me: I suppose Al is an easier byline for people to pronounce.
Dariush: and easier to spell
me: No more Darirish incidents. (pause)
I still think "Al Studly" has a ring to it. :P
Dariush: ...
me: You don't think it's a catchy byline, huh? Not just somewhat studly, AL Studly.
Dariush: ...

Dariush uses the ... to indicate that I have made a joke that is so bad, he has no words. Oh well. I suppose changing one's last name would be a bit of a challenge, anyhow. But if I ever see a newspaper columnist who changes his last name to Studly, I'm going to demand a percentage of the royalties for stealing my idea.

3 comments:

Webmiztris said...

or even Al B. Studly....LOL!

Heather Meadows said...

haha :D

Chuck said...

Webmiztris - Now that he's becoming an ace reporter, I'm sure he'll be studly soon.

Heather - Glad you got a laugh out of it.