Thursday, June 14, 2007

Silver, Like A Fox

There are certain moments in life that aren't major in and of themselves but they serve to illustrate that you're getting older. One of these moments occurred in my life two days ago, while I was getting my monthly haircut.

Now, I know I've got gray hair. As I've mentioned here before, I've been getting gray hair since before I started shaving. I guess I didn't realize just how many of them I've gotten since then.

We were talking about the shampoo and hair care products I use (American Crew, usually) and the stylist said, "Do you ever use Silver Shine shampoo?" My response was something like "WHAT?"

She said, "Well, you have a LOT of gray hair, and it can help show it off well if you use a shampoo designed for it once in a while." I was still a bit flabbergasted, but after the haircut was over, I did end up buying some. I am sure that neither my father, or his father, ever worried about buying shampoo to enhance the appearance of their gray hair, but hey, why not show off what I've got?

Even though this incident did make me realize (more than usual) that I'm not a kid anymore, I still like my gray hair. I never plan to have it dyed. Growing up, being in the military, and working in the airline industry, I've earned every single damn one of them.

5 comments:

Suldog said...

You know, Chuck, it's a funny thing. I never realize just how gray/white my hair is until I go to get a haircut. I always think I still have red hair until I see it falling onto the fall. Not a red hair anywhere.

Merujo said...

My hair started to go white back in 1986, when I was 20. I've been coloring my hair for so long, I'm not sure what the original color was now...

Chuck said...

Suldog - It's not white, it's arctic blonde!

Merujo - I think women tend to dye their hair more than men do. Although there is one gal at work who has completely white hair and it looks really cool. I dunno, maybe she dyes it that color, but I doubt it.

Heather Meadows said...

I adore silver hair on men. I'm secretly delighted whenever I find one on my husband's head. Sean's not 30 yet, so I guess I can't expect him to go all gray anytime soon, but if his dad is any indication, I have some lovely platinum hair to look forward to :>

(Sean makes fun of me for having an "old man fetish". I guess I just find distinguished men sexy!)

I don't want to dye my hair either, but I'll see how I feel when it starts changing color. My mother has been dyeing her hair since her 20s--her original color was a beautiful strawberry blond, but now she does kind of a dark blond color.

Chuck said...

Heather - I'm no ladies man, but from what little observations I've made, my gray hair has helped more than hurt in that area. At the rate I'm going, I'll be super sexy silver within five or ten years. I don't care too much about the color, as long as I still have the hair.