Saturday, June 23, 2007

100 Facts in 100 Days #15

I'm a pretty good typist. In high school, I was just trying to fill up my class schedule in 9th grade, but I had a good teacher, and the skill has stuck with me. Good old IBM Selectrics...you hardly ever even SEE a typewriter anymore.

Looking back at my school years, I can say it's one of the more valuable classes I took. I even worked as a typist in a work study job for the VA after I got out of the military.

There are a couple of short words I can type rather quickly since they're so common, such as "the." Today I just realized that "com" has become another one of those words for me due to typing in web addresses so often.

To help make me feel old, I found out from my nephews that typing class is now known as "keyboarding."

3 comments:

Webmiztris said...

I don't understand why they call it keyboarding....I mean, it IS still typing!

marsha said...

When I was in high school I was so excited about being able to use an electric typewriter, half the class still had to use the old standard ones...

Chuck said...

webmiztris - I guess the phrase keyboarding sounds cooler or something.

marsha - I was happy to get access to electrics also in high school. In middle school, we had manual typewriters, and those bit the big one.