Tuesday, May 15, 2007

100 Facts in 100 Days #13

Growing up, I read a lot of comic books, but it's a habit I mostly gave up in high school. I still occasionally like to read a good graphic novel, though...I read "A History of Violence" after the movie came out and I liked it quite well. I've been meaning to check out the Sin City books after seeing the movie a couple years back, but I haven't gotten around to it. Frank Miller is an awesome writer though. He did one series for Daredevil that I think I still have a few of the original issues for that was awesome. Currently, though, my apartment is way too small and cluttered for me to get seriously back into reading comics again, since I'd have no good place to store them.

5 comments:

Merujo said...

I still haven't seen "Sin City." I really liked "A History of Violence." I didn't grow up with comic books, except for the Star Wars-focused ones. I didn't have any brothers of the right age when I was a kid - they were too old and not in the house. I've come to the comics fold late in life, spurred on by the fact that a screenwriter friend of mine has branched out into both indie and mainstream (Marvel) comics. Also,two of my favorite pop & pulp culture icons (Stephen King's Gunslinger and Buffy the Vampire Slayer) have been resurrected in comics form. I'm planning on interviewing the guy who runs our local comicbook shop on my blog soon.

Suldog said...

Miller's "Daredevil" run was magnificent. There weren't twenty words in each issue, and the art told the entire story. Great stuff. I've still got those, too.

Stu said...

Have you read "The Last Man" series by Brian K. Vaughan? Holy Shit, it's spectacular.

Stu said...

Suldog is absolutely right, Frank Miller's "Born Again" early Daredevil series was a revelation, as was his The Dark Knight Returns.

Harvey Pekar... Will Eisner... comics are art.

Chuck said...

Merujo - Looking forward to your interview.

Suldog/Stu - I've heard Miller's early "Daredevil" run was excellent, but the one I have was his "Kingpin vs. Daredevil" run, where the Kingpin finds out Daredevil's secret identity and seeks to destroy him. It, also, was excellent.

Stu - I will try and check that series out.