Wednesday, March 07, 2007

100 Facts in 100 Days #11

I've always been kind of a computer geek since my early teen years. I mean, I've never been one to write code for hours on end, but I really like working with computers, and in recent years, I've done some of my own hardware upgrades, OS installations, etc.

Back in high school, this was viewed as the ultimate in geekery, but in recent years, it seems like being proficient on computers is like being good at working on cars...everyone respects your skills and wants your help! Of course, I'm definitely not an expert, but I do help out my friends when I can.

2 comments:

Thimbelle said...

I no longer tell people that I am a Geek-for-hire at parties or when I meet them.

Otherwise, the first thing I hear is this: "Oh! My computer has been acting really weird..." Of course, they don't actually want to *pay* me to fix their computer, but they will be glad to pick my brains for all the freebie advice they can get...

Chuck said...

Thimbelle - I don't mind giving general advice, but what I really hate is trying to help people over the phone. I'd be horrible at phone tech support, I'm afraid...I could just see me, first day on the job, shouting "No, don't do that! You IDIOT! WHAT were you THINKING?" and getting fired rather quickly.