Friday, February 23, 2007

Attention Weather Geeks

Are you a fellow weather geek who always likes to have the outside temperature displayed in the taskbar of your computer? Tired of ads in Weatherbug or the Weather Channel Desktop? Want more weather map options? Well, then, I have a solution!

I'm seriously not getting paid to say this, but I did recently find a desktop weather product, ad-free, that I really like. It includes a variety of map options, from different sources, including a ton of international satellite options that most weather desktop products don't offer. It can be downloaded here, and it is completely free.

Of course, part of my interest in weather is professional, but part of the reason I have stayed in my career field this long is that I think meteorology is cool. In that respect, my personal formula for career happiness is aviation + meteorology + computers = cool.

Unrelated to weather, I am sadly forced to conclude this blog has become rather boring lately. I mean, I look at recent posts I've done vs. some early posts I did and I'm like zzzzzzzzzzzzz.

I can't point to an exact cause. I do have some interesting things to write about, when I can sit down and make myself write...some of the stuff I'd like to write about is sort of personal, and I've been struggling with how much I want to put online. Which, for me, turns into "putting off posting." I'll work on it, though.

Diet is still going ok. Exercise program...been kind of lazy. However, the weather is getting really nice here, so that should help with my motivation to go outside.

Have a good weekend, everyone!

6 comments:

Sean said...

Nice ad free weather app. find. Looks pretty good. The only reason I stay with WeatherBug is that they have the largest weather network in the world. All other weather programs/sites get thier weather data from the National Weather Service. The difference between the NWS network and WB's network breaks down like this. NWS has about 1500 weather stations at airports across the country that update once an hour. WB has about 8500 weather stations across the country at schools within communities where people live and they update once every 2.5 seconds. but I'm a loyal WB user for about 7 years now. 5 using their free version (ad wrapped data) and then I decided to just pay the 20 bucks a year and ditch the ads. But I did download the Weather Watcher and at first glance looks to be a very good app. I will continue to compare the two.

Thanks!

Thimbelle said...

I'm a big weather geek. Grew up in tornado alley, so I always keep a eye on the sky.

As a Firefox user, I've been grooving on Forecastfox Enhanced. I can set it to big 'ol animated radar images that pop-up on rollover. I stick it up in the nav bar, and turn off the alerts - they make me nuts. Plus, I can set profiles for friends and family around the country, and see in a flash what their weather is...

I am gonna go try this thing though. Thanks!

Thim :)

Chuck said...

Sean - Thanks for visiting! Hope you enjoy the Weather Watcher. I did used to have WeatherBug also, but I got tired of the ads...I'm too cheap to buy the ad-free version.

Thimbelle - I have ForecastFox also. The only thing I don't like about it is that it uses data from AccuWeather, which was lobbying Congress to restrict the amount of data that the National Weather Service could release on the internet...they would rather people had to pay for their services than get the stuff from a NWS site for free. But the radar pop-up map is a nice feature.

Suldog said...

Chuck - Not much of a weather guy, so no comment there. However, insofar as your posting goes, you know that I have had some thoughts along similar lines lately.

I'll give you the same good advice I got, boiled down. Write to please yourself. Don't think too much about it. If we enjoy it, good. But you should enjoy it first.

As far as how much to reveal about yourself, we each have our limits. As you may have seen from some of my recent stuff, my limits may not be your limits :-) Be comfortable.

Suldog said...

Hi, Chuck!

Just wanted to let you know that you're invited to my virtual birthday party today! You can bring as many guests as you'd like!

Chuck said...

Suldog - Thanks for your advice. No, I don't think I could be quite as candid as you have been on your blog recently. And, Happy Birthday! And great virtual birthday party you threw.