Friday, December 08, 2006

Never a dull moment

I've worked in the airline industry a long time and I've heard all kinds of stories and been personal witness to lots of incidents, including a pre-9/11 hijack attempt...but this was something I had never seen or even imagined happening before. The link is to a news article, and since I know a news article link doesn't work indefinitely, part of the article is quoted below:

It may be one problem airline security officials never envisioned -- a passenger lighting matches in flight to mask odors from her flatulence.

The woman's actions resulted in an emergency landing on Monday in Nashville of an American Airlines flight bound for Dallas from Washington, D.C., said Lynne Lowrance, a spokeswoman for Nashville's airport.

Other passengers reported the odor of burned matches, but the woman was not forthcoming when asked about it, Lowrance said on Wednesday.

2 comments:

Merujo said...

When I first heard about this, it reminded me of a blog post I wrote in 2005. Behold! The fart guard: http://merujo.blogspot.com/2005/04/chemical-warfare_29.html

I think they should be sold in airport gift shops. Seriously. I've been on planes with some hellishly gassy people...

Chuck said...

Merujo - If she was silent but deadly, those definitely would have helped. Thanks for visiting!