Wednesday, September 27, 2006

100 Facts in 100 Days #2

I was in the Air Force during the first Gulf War (Desert Shield/Desert Storm.) However, I was never stationed in the Middle East during that time, since I was stationed in Okinawa, and the squadron I was in, where I repaired F-15 avionics, was never deployed there. The official word I heard was that they kept our unit in Okinawa just in case Korea decided to pull anything while the US was occupied with Kuwait/Iraq.

I didn't mind at all not being deployed, since moving the test stations we used to work on the F-15 avionics is a huge pain in the ass, and the living conditions in Saudi Arabia (where most people in my line of work were stationed) were not as good as where I was at in Okinawa. All of the pilots were disappointed, though. Of course, my mother was extremely relieved I was nowhere near the fighting.

No comments: