Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Yes, I'm still here!

I've been kind of lazy when it comes to my blog posting. I haven't been up to a whole lot, besides working. As a matter of fact, today is my one day off, then I work another six in a row, and then I finally have four days off, but I'll be using that time to go visit my Mom at her new place in Albuquerque...so blogging will probably be a bit limited for a while.

However, I did do one thing recently that I thought was interesting enough to blog about...I made a grilled ham and cheese sandwich. I was unfortunately out of cheddar, so I had to use Swiss cheese.

I know, I know, I have no social life. But this wasn't just ANY grilled cheese sandwich! I made it using an iron.

I just KNOW whoever came up with this idea is a guy. I'm not dating right now, but I could imagine the converation a married guy would have trying to do this:

Wife: "What the HELL are you doing?"
Husband: "I'm making a grilled cheese sandwich!"
Wife: "With an IRON? What are you, out of your MIND?"
Husband: "But this is so cool! I'm cooking something, using an iron!"
Wife: "Don't you DARE use my iron for that again."
Husband: "But honey, it uses less electricity than the stove burner does!"

At any rate, the sandwich turned out quite well and was very tasty, although it was a bit tricky to get it to brown evenly on both sides. And yes, I do have a frying pan, stovetop, et cetera to make grilled cheese sandwiches in the traditional way. But what fun would that be?

5 comments:

Marvo said...

What!?! You used to live in cheese country and you don't have cheddar cheese? Tsk. Tsk.

I'm going to try this, but I'll probably just do a straight up grilled cheese sandwich.

Stu said...

I saw Paris Hilton do this on The Simple Life. I think it's genius.

Thimbelle said...

Totally a "guy" thing. The Wrench is always "repurposing" various household objects. Like the time he used my dishwasher to clean engine parts. Claimed one of his buddies had done it to great effect.

His buddy was single.

The Wrench *almost* was...

Travel safely to see Mom. I hope she's feeling more settled now, more comfortable, and happier.

We're keeping her in our prayers!

T. :)

Gerry said...

This is great.

Reminds me how glad I am to be a guy.

We can do these type of things and people just say "its a guy thing" and we can get away with it.

Chuck said...

Marvo - What can I say? I've been slacking on my cheese buying since I moved. Next sandwich will have cheddar, though, I promise.

Stu - I don't really thing the words "Paris Hilton" and "genius" can coexist in the same sentence.

Thimbelle - Thanks for your good wishes about my Mom! It's challenging sometimes, not living there.

Gerry - Hope all is well at ZW. Good luck with your sandwich making attempt!