Thursday, May 18, 2006

A Random Act of Kindness...

I have been riding the bus to and from work, since it's only three miles or so from my apartment and I still haven't purchased a new car to replace the one I sold (but I will probably do so next month, as soon as I get a post-initial training pay raise.) At any rate, a blind guy got on the bus and was trying to get to the street I live on...I offered to show him the way since he wasn't familiar with the area.

Without going into a boring story, he asked if I had any extra cash, and I ended up giving him some money when I got him to his bus stop. The problem was, he kept asking for MORE money. I gave him a little more, but finally had to draw the line. I do have a bit of extra cash thanks to a rebate check from the apartment locator service I used during my move, but I was beginning to feel taken advantage of before the end of this chance encounter.

Let me emphasize that if this guy was trying to con someone about his disability, he was doing the best job of it I've ever seen. He got around pretty well using his white cane, but being blind in an unfamiliar area has to be one of the scariest things ever. All that being said, I'm definitely not flush with cash right now. So, instead of feeling a warm glow from doing a good deed, I ended up kind of feeling taken for a ride. If anyone has any thoughts on this, feel free to share.

I think that next time, I'll just donate some stuff to Goodwill.

3 comments:

Marvo said...

If he was really appreciative of the money I don't think he wouldn't have asked you for more.

Chuck said...

Marvo - After discussing it with some other people, I tend to agree...I pretty much got scammed. Oh well, live and learn.

ChaosInOrder said...

I think there are somewhere in the vicinity of 270 million people living in the U.S. today. I'm gonna take a wild guess and say that 250 million of them did nothing nice for a stranger on that day. You should feel more human than any of them, whether you got scammed or not.