Saturday, April 01, 2006

April Fools

Well, I should be busy packing, but progress is slowly being made, so I thought I'd celebrate today by reminiscing about a couple of memorable pranks.

The best prank I ever pulled was when I was visiting my friend's house in Tuscon and he was gone for the day...leaving me at home, with access to his answering machine. I changed it to say, "I'm too drunk to come to the phone right now, but if you leave a message, I'll call you back as soon as I sober up!" I should note that he wasn't job hunting or anything at the time, otherwise I wouldn't have pulled that one. The hard part was, he didn't notice I did it for like three months. Someone he worked with finally told him to call his answering machine when they were out at a bar somewhere. I don't think I'll ever top that one, personally.

The funniest prank I ever heard of was a high school prank where these two guys convinced one of their friends that the local Dunkin Donuts was a front for a prostitution operation, and that the secret phrase to get hooked up with a hooker was to order a dozen jelly donuts. Evidently the guy tried it and came out all puzzled looking with a dozen jelly donuts in a box while the other guys waited outside in their car. They told him, "I don't know, dude, maybe you're just not saying it right!" I can just imagine him going back in and trying it again..."No, no, a dozen JELLY donuts..." While this story could be urban legend material, I can actually see someone in high school being naive enough to fall for it.

Have a fun and safe weekend, everyone.

No comments: