Thursday, September 08, 2005

The Hospital Chronicles Part IV: Go-Cart Crash

This happened on vacation the summer following my golf club incident. I managed to avoid facial injury this time around.

I was on vacation in Ruidoso, New Mexico with my parents and my cousin and had gone go-carting one afternoon. This go-cart track had a tricky section with a sharp curve and my go-cart wasn't easy to steer. At any rate, after barely negotiating the curve for a couple of laps, I finally managed to plow into the wall. I wasn't hurt too badly but I somehow got a big gash on the back of my left leg.

We didn't go to the hospital right away, but once I told my father that the bleeding wasn't stopping after we got back to our timeshare condo, he decided it would be best to take a trip to the emergency room. Once again, since I had a non-life threatening condition, I got to wait 2-3 hours before the doctor saw us. I ended up getting about 10 stitches to sew up the cut.

As with my previous trip to the emergency room, the stitches turned what would have been a big scar into a much smaller one. I imagine go-carts in use today are quite a bit safer than the one I was driving...which if I recall correctly didn't have a seat belt or anything else keeping me strapped in.

However, this was not to be my final trip to the hospital in middle school. For that one, you'll have to tune in next time...

No comments: