Monday, September 05, 2005

The Hospital Chronicles Part II: Horse Sense

My very fist memories are from this event. I was approximately two and a half when it happened.

Me, my mother and one of my sisters were visiting relatives in rural New Mexico. They had some horses. I managed to sneak out a back exit of their trailer that my mother didn't even know existed and wander up behind them.

I remember saying something like, "Hey horsie" and then extreme PAIN. After that, I remember standing up in the car on the way to the emergency room, and seeing people in the emergency room, and getting my x-ray taken, and the surgery where they did the stitches, but it's all in flashes over several days.

My mother thought the scar would be a lot worse than it turned out to be after it healed. I'm attaching a low-rez pic I just took of the scar while playing with my webcam to this post. (I need very little excuse to play with the gadgets connected to my computer.) You can see from the pic that there is a scar, but it's not really noticeable.



Evidently, my father wanted to know WHICH horse kicked me, so he could shoot it. I told him that the blue horsie kicked me. I don't remember that part but it's been told to me many times.

Actually, I'm not mad at the horse...I obviously just startled him and he kind of kicked back reflexively. If it had been a deliberate kick, I probably would have been killed. Just remember, those of you with toddlers...if you turn their back on them, make sure all the exits are locked.

2 comments:

Toni said...

Holy jeez! You're lucky you didn't get killed.

Yep, I reckon that when I have kids, I'm going to have to make them wear one of those harness things so I can keep an eye on them all the time.

Eryn said...

Ooh Chuck, your hair looks so thick! Yowza!